Fresh ham – basic roasting recipe
Natalie’s stand-by recipe for fresh ham:
1. Coat the thawed ham with a dry rub (I use garlic powder, salt, paprika, a little brown sugar if you want – you can do this rub to your favorite tastes). Be sure to make note of the roast’s weight before you throw away the wrapper.
2. Put ham in ziploc or covered container and return it to the fridge for a day or two. the longer it sits with the rub, the more it will take on the flavors of the rub. If you don’t have that much time, it’s okay to cook it right away.
3. Cook covered in a 225 degree oven for 45 minutes per pound.*** (about 145-150 degrees internal temperature).
4. Remove from oven, keep cover on and let meat rest for 15-20 minutes
5. Remove and discard the roast’s net. Slice the meat thin and enjoy! the drippings make an awesome gravy
***note: if you want “fall apart” meat, cook for 1 hour per pound. The cooking time given above is best for slicing the roast.